Thursday, March 01, 2007

I tried the PS3 today

One of the staff in Computer Science bought a PS3 today and Rob gave me the first go. The big TV in the open area didn't actually have a HDMI port, which the PS3 uses for High Definition picture, so we were reduced to using the composite (Red, White and Yellow plugs). We switched it on and I went on Ridge Racer 7. Despite the numerous designes for the controller, they opted to keep it the same as the PS2 controller. The controller is extremely light, and I only have one qualm with it. The L2 and R2 buttons stick out too much and they don't feel right when you press them. Ridge Racer 7's graphics are okay but the PS3 was crying out to be connected to an HDMI-ready TV, which most of us cannot afford. Unfortunately, Ridge Racer 7's graphics are not that great. It looks a lot like the graphics on the PS2. I was playing Driver 3 on my PC under XP and the graphics were much better than Ridge Racer 7. The sky looks great, with realistic clouds, which is funny because this game and my graphics card are two years old. Computer Science are going to try the PS3 on a HDMI-ready TV, hopefully with a better game tomorrow.

No comments: