Sunday, March 25, 2007

Going Back to Bradford for Easter Holiday

Yesterday, I went back to Chez Wakefield (My Parents' Place) in Shipley by train. Compared to when I had taken the X62 bus back to Shipley for the night in November, which took me four hours, and which was stressful from getting off at Leeds to getting back to Saltaire Train Station, the train journey was a breeze, even relaxing, and I was in Leeds in no time. I took a taxi from Chez Student to Hull Station where I successfully missed a train. To kill time, I decided to get mildly frustrated and mutter something about not being able to drive, but I soon got tired of this so I decided to drag my bags into Hull Station's B&B's Coffee Cafe and grab a cappuccino, and by the time I had finished, they were letting us on the Manchester Piccadilly train, where I picked a seat near a table, and decided to break out my laptop to use MSN for a bit through my T-Mobile phone, just because I could. I wanted to know what it felt like to access the Internet on a moving train. I would also like one day to not be a complete retard, and to maybe purchase a working brain, instead of this one I have which obviously came fresh from Maplin Electronics and was made by AMD. Anyhoo, after a while I decided on breaking out my Simpsons Season 3 DVD Box Set and watching some. I only had time to watch a couple before I was getting near Leeds station, and had to pack my laptop away. Once in Leeds I had to catch a connecting train to Saltaire and because I kept going the wrong way at Leeds, by the time I had purchased my ticket the train was waiting on the platform. I jumped on and in no time I was at Saltaire where Dad picked me up.

It feels sooooooooo good to be back at Chez Wakefield. I decided to set about setting up wireless Internet access with the new router I bought from eBuyer. It's by a firm called ZyXEL, whom I had never heard of but the router had gotten, lots of good reviews I decided to go ahead and make the purchase, and I hope I'm glad I did. Setting up the router was easy enough by hard-wiring my laptop to it using the provided Ethernet cable. I did have to nick the RJ11 cable from the ADSL modem we had been given as the provided one wasn't long enough. I had a couple of minor hitches with enabling the security because I didn't realise that networks like ours needed WPA-FSK rather than just standard WPA. I also thought that I had locked myself out of the router's settings page but I just switched it off and back on again and was back in business. We now have a secure wireless network running. It is really nice being able to have access to a fast Internet connection in my bedroom

I will try and upload some pictures to this blog now that I can do it without too much hassle.

No comments: