Sunday, March 04, 2007

Didn't Like the Vista

Today I've decided to dump my XP Pro/Vista Dual-boot setup and go back to Windows XP Media Center Edition. I found Windows Vista stressful to use as it is extremely slow on my PC and I experienced difficulties doing simple tasks such as playing DVDs, creating playlists in Windows Media Player, using Visual Studio 2005 (yes I did install all the necessary updates for Visual Studio for Windows Vista), and even using Microsoft Office Word 2003 and Access 2007. I just couldn't handle all the hang-ups of Windows Vista.

Windows Vista does, however have some good features. In Windows Vista Business, they have enhanced the networking options so it is now easy to connect to lots of different types of network. I also like the more advanced file-sharing options available in Vista,, which I found useful for sharing files over our student house wireless network.

The Access Center is also very good offering a lot more options than in previous versions of Windows. Whereas the Accessability Wizard, which shipped with Windows 98, 2000, Me and XP used to ask "Do you want to enable StickyKeys" and "Do you wish to enable SoundsEntry" for example, the Access Center asks you questions about yourself and how you do certain things on the computer and sets Windows Vista up so it is easy for you to use.

Once Windows Vista has been out for a few months, and more hardware manufacturers are supporting it, and computers are made that exceed the system requirements by quite a way, then Windows Vista will be a good buy. For now, however, just stick with Windows XP, unless you actually need to buy a new PC.

If you need Windows Vista for work, or you are actually buying a new PC, then look for one with a dual-core processor that runs at 2.0GHz at least, with 2GB of RAM and a 256MB PCI-Express Graphics card. Opt for Windows Vista Premium as Windows Vista Basic, in my opinion doesn't have any good features worth upgrading to.

No comments: