Saturday, March 17, 2007

My birthday, essays, Windows Vista and Office 2007

First of all I would like to apologize to my reader(s). I haven't posted up here for a while because I've been busy with my birthday, getting drunk, and a coursework essay. It is currently half past two in the morning, and I'm sat here making this post.

First of all, I'd like to thanks everyone for coming to my birthday party on Saturday, March 3rd. It was a fantastically fantastic success, with everyone going home either drunk or happy (or both), and to those of us who live here at "Chez Student " (my place) we just fell into bed just a tad bit tipsy. As it was my birthday celebrations however it didn't stop there. On Friday, March 9th my old school friend Kathryn came up to see her boyfriend and we went out to a very nice place on Friday night for a meal. I don't have a clue what it's called but it's about 2-5 minutes' walk from The Lawns halls of residence and it was really nice.

On Saturday it was into town and Yates' bar to have a few bevies before a quick stumble round town (in my case anyway. I have never been able to hold drink very well).then it was back to my place. I had planned to cook dinner but I was extremely tired from the night before so I almost fell asleep while Kathryn sat with my computer trying to figure out whether we had got onto the birthday guest list from Asylum or not. We eventually fled into the kitchen where she attempted to dye my hair with a temporary blue hair dye I bought from Sally's in Princes Quay. When it says Wash-in Wash-out, I didn't actually realise it would do one or the other. In my case it washed out, so Kathryn, who was doing her hair with permanent red dye asked if I wanted to do mine, so I decided what the hey. She did my hair red, and I proceeded then to hit the shower (I really don't know why as the shower hadn't done anything wrong). Anyhoo, I washed my hair with shampoo, and hay presto, the red stayed in, so I got changed to go out to Asylum and Kathryn proceeded to wrestle my hair into a Mohican hairdo. It actually looked good, and when Kathryn and her boyfriend were ready, we went out to Asylum with two of my housemates. It was a very good night with Jimmy from 911 coming on stage and trying to sing (he wasn't actually bad considering 911 WERE from the '90s). We did actually make the Asylum guest list, which meant that Kathryn and I gained a queue jump and free entry to Asylum, and a free bottle of Champagne from the DJ. All in all, Saturday was a very good night. Sunday was also good as I was able to make a good start with my Précis report. I then started making Sweet and Sour chicken as Kathryn and her boyfriend were coming round to Chez Student before Kathryn went back home. After the meal we decided to go back to Yates to give the quiz machine it's second caning in two days.

My birthday turned out well. We all ordered takeaway to be delivered. Two of us ordered Indian and two ordered Chinese. Once my birthday celebrations were over with, it was time to settle down to my essay. AAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!! Why did the rubric have to have so much ambiguity!? (And how exactly do you insert an interurban in Word 2007 under Windows Vista!?). It is so difficult, especially for those of us with Asperger Syndrome (Word doesn't recognize the word Asperger natively, who made the dictionary on this thing?).

Tonight I decided to give Windows Vista another go on my current PC. I decided to do some troubleshooting as to what was causing the errors when I instructed Vista to restart the computer. I installed programs one at a time, and restarted the PC twice after each, and I traced the error back to the modem. A quick Google search revealed a blog that someone had made (I forget which it is but I will try and find it and post a link on my blog). They, like me had an Intel 536EP modem, and they said that theirs would cause the system to abort. I'm not exactly sure what that means, but what he went on to say is that he updated his driver through Windows Update. Intel doesn't have the driver on their web-site but I clicked the Start button, and right clicked on Computer, and selected Properties. From there, I went to the device manager and clicked on the + sign next to Modems and selected my modem from the list. I right-clicked it and selected Properties. I clicked on the drivers tab, then on Update Driver. I instructed Windows to search online for the driver. I use the modem to connect to the Internet so it took about ten minutes for Windows to download and install the driver, but when it was done, I clicked on OK on the Modem properties dialogue box, and then exited Device Manager and the 'basic information about your computer' dialogue box. The problem, I believe is now solved.

I have started using Microsoft Office 2007 and so far I think it's great. The new Ribbon makes it, in my opinion anyway, easy to find things that you would otherwise have to trawl through about six feet of menu to find. For people like me who are visually impaired, we don't want to have to look through lots of menus to find things, as looking closely at writing can strain our eyes. I also like the fact that I can write and post bog entries directly from Microsoft Word. So far I'm thinking Nice Work, guys. I love it!!!

No comments: