Thursday, October 25, 2007

Microsoft comes to Hull

On Tuesday, Ed Dunhill from Microsoft came to give a talk on the Microsoft .NET Framework, which is fast becoming my favourite platform for program (not that I program on any other platform). The idea that you can use your preferred language to program anything from a desktop or laptop computer running Windows XP or Vista to Windows-based smartphones to Automated Teller Machines to washing machines or even cookers sounds appealing. He covered Microsoft Silverlight, which is Microsoft's 'version' of Adobe Flash player. He also did some things on XNA. I really enjoyed the presentation. We were all given Microsoft T-Shirts that were originally cubes that we could put in water and they turned into T-shirts.

I write this post as I am on the train coming back to Hull. Yesterday I was in Bradford being presented with a care leavers' award for what I've achieved in university so far. It was a good ceremony but I came away early and went to my sister's house.

T-Mobile finally gave me the subsidy pin to unlock my Nokia 6280 yesterday before I set off home so I have put my contract Vodafone SIM in that phone now and I'm very happy with it.

No comments: