Thursday, June 07, 2007

Rip-Off Britain hits the Blind

Today I decided to go about obtaining a quote of how much an upgrade to ZoomText 9.1 would cost. I went to AI Squared's web-site to find that an upgrade would cost me $99 (around £50). Great – if I lived in the USA. I followed the advice on AI Squared's page to obtain a quotation from my local ZoomText dealer – i.e. Sight and Sound, a dealer who specializes in equipment for the visually impaired – also where my laptop, Opti Verso, All-In-One printer/scanner/copier, Office software and ZoomText 9.0 came from. They gave me a quote of £90. I asked why it was so high (almost double the price of the American version), and they said it was because of customs and excise and the shipping and all the other bureaucracy and taxes it hikes up the price. I feel SO tempted to use my favourite P2P or Torrent service to get ZoomText 9.1 but I can't as I'm not the keenest on Pirated software anymore

No comments: