Tuesday, May 01, 2007

Cast Ne’er clout ‘till May be out

We have only one lecture today at 4.15 which follows a group meeting our group have got at 3.15 to work on the group coursework for Software Engineering and HCI (Human-Computer Interaction) which was launched last Friday. In the run up to the meeting I thought I'd do something constructive, so I looked for a Nokia 6280 on eBay and found one for £62 including postage and packaging that is locked to T-Mobile. I am writing this blog post on the sun terrace in Sanctuary, the Student Union bar at Hull. Hull University are rolling out a new wireless network called EuroRoam or Eduroam, the computer centre can't decide exactly what it is called. Anyhoo, I took my faithful Ergo Ensis 211 in to have it setup to access the network, whatever it's called, and I can pick it up in Sanctuary while I'm enjoying a beer and a burger. (No, Olga, I will not turn up to Rob's lecture drunk – I promise!!!).

I think it's a good idea because sometimes it's hard do motivate myself to revise or study if I'm sat inside on a nice day like today, so to be able to come down to Sanctuary and sit on the sun terrace is absolutely fantastic, especially if I have the Internet at my disposal. I remember a time when the Internet was on one PC which was tied to a phone line. I even remember when there was just the one computer at my old school, Temple Bank, that had Internet access. Interestingly enough, at one time it was the only PC that ran Microsoft Windows® 95. It just boggles the mind now to think that you can sit in a bar and access the 'net on your laptop or PDA.

No comments: