Monday, May 14, 2007

Ah the memory of exam time

Yesterday I decided to upgrade my new PC from 1.0 to 1.5GB of RAM. I know I should have bought it from eBuyer but I fancied a speed boost there and then so off to the Clough Road PC world I went. £94 for 1GB of RAM!!! I thought not so I decided on the 512MB stick. I got home and fit it with no hitch - although I found that my original stick of SLi-Ready RAM that had a clock speed of 1066MHz – had a clock speed of 800MHz. Hmmmm. I think that's down to me getting the wrong memory and not being able to see the sticker properly. Anyhoo, I am very happy with the results. It's amazing just what an extra 512MB of RAM can do for you. WinTV2000 has become friendly again, which is kind of nice because I haven't got Media Center anymore (It doesn't seem to come with Windows Vista business. It plays games nicely. Before I turned in for the night I I installed demos of Sam and Max, some sort of detective game not too dissimilar to Broken Sword - but a heck of a sight more funny, and Wild Earth – Africa, a game where I'm playing a trainee photographer and have to photograph things for a magazine, and both played very sweetly.

This morning I went across to Larkin building to meet my learning mentor for tea, toast, and a bit of a pep-talk about this afternoon's exam, a reflection on this semester and discussion on what I was to do in regards to revision on Thursday's exam. It did turn into more of a general chat but we covered the basics. I then had to ring Nuance to have Omnipage 15 activated on my new desktop PC as that is what my Epson DX40000 Printer/Scanner is connected to. I had tried to activate it manually but it kept saying "Invalid Serial Key"; nuance said the same thing. They asked me to scan in and send the serial, number over the Internet to them, at which point I realised that what I had previously thought to be a number 2 turned out to be the letter Z. I can't understand why I was able to install Omnipage using that serial number if it was THAT invalid. I attempted to activate again, this time changing my serial number, and it worked! Once I had Omnipage up and running, Nuance e-mailed me back the correct serial number. Hmmm – a bit late. Had I have scanned in the CD sleeve and zoomed in first, I could have saved myself topping my T-Mobile phone up with a fiver and I could have saved mine and Nuance Technical Support's time. I do think however they ought to use a different typeface for serial numbers as I struggle being Visually impaired. Interestingly enough, Nuance are the brains behind Talks, the screen-reading program available for smartphones. Talking about screen readers, I went to the Disability office to hand them a statement in writing as to why I should have ZoomText 9.1, after which it was off to Continental CafĂ© to have dinner, and then go to my exam. This afternoon it was Software Engineering and Human-Computer Interaction. It went okay I think but I can't say until the 4th of July when America celebrate the declaration of independence, and we (hopefully) celebrate the declaration of good exam results. After the exam, however I did go and see one of the lecturers about my Algorithm coursework, which I did for the same module; I got an A- for this work. I think I'm going to put it down to the fact that one of my colleagues and I worked it out together, and the fact that my housemate gave me my birthday present – a meal cooked by her, which was absolutely fantastic to say the least. Chinese food is always good for a good night's work.

No comments: