Wednesday, February 07, 2007

Trip to Oxford

On Saturday, I went to Oxford with the International Students Association (ISA). I am not an international student myself but I am a member of their society.

We had to be up extremely early to be outside the Venn building at 6.30 on Saturday Morning for two coaches to take us to there. It was freezing cold but it was a very clear morning. The journey there was five hours with a service stop at about 9:45. We arrived at Oxford at about dinnertime. I set out with three French girls I had met the day before. We headed for Broad Street, with a little help from a Map that we were issued with, and my new Garmin Nuvi 300 Satellite Navigation System. It took us to Broad Street without any problems but after that the battery conked out. Great! I knew I should have charged it. Once on Broad Street we headed straight for the Tourist Information Centre, after which we headed for Trinity College, which makes up part of Oxford University. Walking around the gardens was magnificent. I thought that on one hand, I'd love to study there but on the other, I like the fun you can have and the relaxed atmosphere at Hull University. We then went to the Oxford University Museum where they had a hall full of dinosaur bones and fossils. The Hall's roof was magnificent, it was arched high above the hall and made of little glass squares. I was the stupid idiot who photographed it. After the museum we went for a look round Oxford's High Street. I was surprised to find that It was actually called High Street. We stopped off for coffee and went to the river. I didn't know that Oxford was set on the River Thames but we saw it. It was dusk at this point, and the girls agreed that it was romantic, and it was. Picture the scene, the sun setting on a very calm river bank with a barge bobbing up and down,a nd the air being calm. It was then time to go back to meet the bus for the long journey home. A good time was had by all who went. Thanks to ISA Hull

No comments: