Monday, January 07, 2008

The Switch-over to Vista, Part 2

Ash Technologies have released a Beta Windows Vista driver for their Opti Verso. This and the fact that I can now run Grand Theft Auto III and Vice City under Windows Vista has prompted me to switch over to Vista on my laptop. I started at 9.50 this evening and it is now coming up to five past four in the morning. It has taken me a while to work out how to get the volume keys working on Vista but I managed to download some drivers for the Asus A3F, on which my Ergo Ensis 211 is based. I installed the ATK utility and Power4 Gear Extreme for Windows Vista and Hey Presto it worked.

As for my Opti Verso, I tested that and for a thirty second glance at the software I do believe it is as responsive as the XP version (version 1.12) was. I am glad that Ash Technologies have given us a chance to sample a Vista beta driver, because I was losing hope of ever being able to install Windows Vista on my laptop.

If you have an Ergo Ensis 211 laptop that you are thinking of upgrading to Vista, please be aware that Ergo still do not officially support Windows Vista on this particular notebook for some stupid reason. If you run Windows Update when you have installed Vista and connected to the Internet it should work automatically though.

I do have a couple more programs to reinstall on this machine but apart from that it is good to go with me as I start in earnest, my revision for my exams.

No comments: