Thursday, January 24, 2008

I demand more RAM ..... or Vista gets it

Recently, Windows Vista has been running shockingly slow on my Ensis laptop, and I think I need to give it the boot because it has started getting into the habit of flicking the screen off at will. It has done this the last couple of times I have used the laptop. I am thinking of recycling my old Windows Media Center Edition license and installing it on my laptop, then I'm going to dual-boot XP with Ubuntu. If I can acquire more RAM, let's say 2GB, I will consider going back to Vista but for now, I can't actually use it. It's a shame really as I am going to miss Spotlight –er, I meant the search box on the Start menu.

I am thinking that I would like to find part time employment and buy a Macbook because they have impressed me no end. Every Macbook comes set up ready for a visually impaired person to use, thanks to Universal Access, which has been around for twenty four years. All you need to do is hit Apple+Alt+8 on your Macbook and suddenly everything becomes larger, and hopefully clearer. To turn up the magnification level, press Apple, Alt and the '+' key, and to turn the magnification level down, press Apple, Alt and the '-' key. I think Apple have done a very good job with accessibility and I take my hat off to them.

I would like to see the RNIB start to recommend Apple iMacs and MacBooks as well as Windows based Screen reader/magnifier software because it is a much cheaper and in a lot of ways superior alternative to having to buy a new Windows machine, and pay the same amount that you paid for the PC in accessibility software. You can buy a half-decent Windows Vista based PC today for around about £300-400, yet Jaws 9.1 costs around £600 for a full license! Why?

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Interesting thing is that I have 2GB RAM in my MacBook. I find if you want to use Parallels, and office at the same time, without loosing some performance, you do need it.

Anonymous said...

What a load of rubbish.