Monday, July 16, 2007

I-Doser Application

Today I was reading the latest edition of The Official Windows Vista magazine when I came across an article for a program called I-Doser. Basically what it does is to play sounds to the user through headphones which it is claimed the sound waves will alter the waves in the brain thereby altering the mood of the person who is listening to the sounds through headphones. I was curious so I decided to download the program and give it a go. Two free doses are provided. The first one is Content, which wipes negative thoughts from your head and leaves you feeling happy and contented. The second dose, alcohol gives you that feeling when you've just had a couple of jars. I tried the Content dose (I didn't fancy feeling drunk in the middle of the afternoon at Chez Wakefield). The sound played for twenty minutes, and it did seem a little annoying at first having an annoying ringing sound playing for twenty minutes, but when it finished it did fade out rather than just stop dead, which meant your ears have time to recover. It seemed okay I guess but that could just be a placebo effect.

I'm a little sceptical of these things. I don't know how much research has been done into this, but I have a feeling that prolonged tampering with brain waves could have negative side effects, so just exercise caution.

No comments: